Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Amsterdam Trip Day 2: Tales from the "Kitchen Garden"














On our second day in Amsterdam (and my 26th birthday), we went out to the Dutch countryside to go to the Keukenhof and see the famous Holland tulips. First of all, I love how the Dutch language sounds, and Keukenhof is probably my 2nd favorite Dutch word (my first being onderduiker-a person in hiding), and Keukenhof literally means "Kitchen Garden".

We spent five hours there! And honestly you need five hours, just to see everything! The tulips were more beautiful than I could have ever imagined (and there were tons and tons in every color imaginable). But they had so many things to see and do at the Keukenhof that had nothing to do with flowers. They had a pipe organ, that not only played classics, but also modern day songs like The Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga.  They also had these very low step stones spanning across a pond that made you feel like you were actually walking on the water (it is amazing that I didn't fall in, as clumsy as I am).  And they had a nearly life-sized playable chess set, a petting zoo, art sculptures, and I saw my first ever Holland windmill (but no where near my last)! 

This had to be one of my best birthdays ever, and I really can't believe now I'm closer to 30 than 20! Where have all the years gone?

P.S.- Don't you love those high-heeled wooden shoes? Fashion in a wooden shoe!

Song of the Day: Time is Love by Josh Turner

2 comments:

  1. How a great day! Your bday, and visiting this great place!
    I love Adam's photo at pond :))

    Love ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a fun day!

    ReplyDelete

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!