Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Abe Lincoln's Kentucky Log Cabin Home










 
Adam thinks I'm obsessed with Abraham Lincoln because every time anything features Lincoln on TV, I always watch it. And I've seen about 10 million Lincoln specials. In fact, last night I was watching Stealing Lincoln's Body on The History Channel. And Adam was like, "Honey, you've seen this one before." And I was like, "No, your crazy I would definitely remember watching something about people trying to rob Lincoln's Grave." So I watched the show for a full two hours, and in the last five minutes there was a scene that gave me such an overwhelming sense of deja vu, and I realized I had indeed seen it already. CRAZINESS. The exact same thing happened a few weeks ago when I watched Grey Gardens for the first second time.
 
But I'm not really obsessed with Lincoln, I'm obsessed with history, and I really love Presidential history. So on the way back from Louisville, I jumped at the chance to stop at Abraham Lincoln's Birthplace in Hodgenville, Kentucky. The birthplace is way out in the country & located on what was called Sinking Creek Farm (named after the Lincoln's water source). There they have a little museum of Lincoln's first 7 years of life, with a set up that included a recreation of the inside of a Log Cabin and the actual Lincoln Family Bible.
 
Behind the museum are trails that lead up to the log cabin. The log cabin is located in a stone building reminiscent of the Lincoln Memorial in D.C with Lincoln's quote, "With malice toward none, with charity to all," written at the top of the building.  There are 56 steps leading up to the building (because Lincoln was 56 when he died). In the building, there is a log cabin built out of the same material Abe's cabin would have been built out of, and it is virtually the same size. It was tiny! I couldn't imagine fitting a family of four in that cabin! But actually that was fairly typical housing for that time period, and actually Lincoln's family was considered middle class compared to other families in that area.
 
After we left the cabin, we walked down to the creek, which was beautiful. I've never seen a creek just naturally flow down in that manner. It was interesting to envision the Lincoln's fetching water from the creek. Knowing you are standing right where they most likely stood. I'm really letting my history geek flag fly today!
 
The little historical stop was a great way to end our wonderful vacation.

1 comment:

  1. You make me laugh. You're so cute! :) I'm starting to like history a lot more since after I graduated school (it would have been nice if I actually payed attention in history class). That is awesome that you got to explore all those things about Abe Lincoln. So let your history geek flag fly as much as you want! :)

    <3 Ash

    ReplyDelete

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!