Sunday, July 14, 2013

Homemade Beef & Broccoli Recipe


One of the many teeny tiny places we lived at when we were back in California was about a block from one of the best Chinese places I've ever eaten at. I swear it was just this little hole in the wall place but it was so good. I ate there so much they knew me by name. I always got lo mien noodles, rice, orange chicken, and beef & broccoli.  That beef and broccoli was awesome! I have never found a place that made it just like them. But this recipe is pretty darn close!

I got this recipe from Emilybites. Her blog has some really awesome low calorie and good recipes. Make sure you check it out.  I made this recipe to freeze and take to work this week for my lunches.  And it is made in the slow cooker, of course. My favorite way to cook, especially during the summer when it is hot, hot, hot!

Ingredients:
1 lb uncooked lean & trimmed boneless top round roast of beef, sliced thin and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup fat free beef broth
½ cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 T sesame oil (found by the other Asian products)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 T cornstarch
2 cups frozen broccoli florets/pieces, unthawed

Directions:

1. Combine the broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and garlic in your slow cooker and stir together to combine. Add the uncooked beef pieces and mix until the beef is covered by the liquid.
2. Turn crock pot temperature to low and cover. Cook for 4 hours or until the beef is cooked through.
3. Remove 4 tablespoons of the liquid from your slow cooker to a bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Once combined, add the cornstarch mixture back into the slow cooker and mix in thoroughly. Add the frozen broccoli and stir in. Re-cover the slow cooker and cook on low for another half hour.

P.S-If you don't know how to work with garlic cloves (like I didn't know how to work with garlic cloves, this step by step guide was so helpful)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!