Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Trivial Pursuits


For the last few weeks, my mom and I have been going to trivia night every Monday at a local Mexican restaurant. And we love it. It is so much fun to test our knowledge about things that really don't matter. Because really, when will it matter that I know that Chip N' Dales crew was know as the RESCUE RANGERS (ON SECOND THOUGHT, HOW WOULD YOU NOT NEED TO KNOW THAT)?

We have had various levels of success. We have finished ninth, and we have finished fourth. But we have never placed in the winners' circle (the top three). But I have to give ourselves some credit because we are a table of two. And sometimes there are tables there of eight! And eight people should have more collective useless knowledge than just two.

There are several teams that come week after week, and one of them is a huge table of people. They call their team The Red Hot Chili Peppers. And they are our arch nemesis. They are perfectly nice people I'm sure, and they haven't done anything wrong, but they always win! And that is what fuels our competitive spirit, we have to beat the Red Hot Chili Peppers!

Last night, my mom couldn't make trivia night, so Adam and I decided to go instead. Our first order of business was to choose our team name.  We decided on "Team Blueshell" ala Mario Kart. Because Mario Kart is not only the best video game ever, we have spent hours upon hours racing each other in that game (by the way, have you heard Mario Kart Love Song? So Cute). And just so you know, there are few things more fun than racing the one you love, and just trying to beat the crap of them using items like banana peels & magic mushrooms.

Things were going along swimmingly at trivia at first, we were answering our questions based on the most random set of knowledge ever. But by the time we got to the last question, we were in fifth place. When we got to the bonus last question, I was about 75% sure I knew the answer. So I wanted to bet the full amount of points. But Adam wanted to play it conservatively. So we only bet half the points. And I had the right answer!

Not only did I have the right answer. We were one of the only two teams to get it right. And if we had bet all the POINTS, we would have finished second and beat the Red Hot Chili Peppers! I couldn't believe it! Victory just slipped through my fingers. See this is where compromising with your husband gets you! No where.

I'm kidding, really. I would rather lose and have my husband with me than win without him. But still we could have won!

After we left the restaurant, I called my mom and let her know how close we came to beating the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I had to laugh when she said, "You know, I was thinking about how much I wanted to beat them earlier today."

I guess there is always next week. 

2 comments:

  1. Oooh trivia night is only one of my favorite things ever ever ever! Love that you like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so much fun! I would love to drag Match to a trivia night. He's really good at shows like Jeopardy, whereas I have lots of the useless tv/entertainment knowledge. When you said rescue rangers, I immediately sang the theme song in my head. Oh yeah, I know it! Sorry you didn't win, but it sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!