Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pumpkin Carving & Halloween Decor






Sunday morning, after we got up, we decided to carve the pumpkin we had picked at the pumpkin patch the day before.  I really wanted to do something creative and different than just a face (not that I'm knocking it, I've made a lot of silly faced jack o'lanterns in my day). But I've been seeing all these pumpkin carving patterns on pinterest, and I wanted to give it a whirl. So Adam and I decided on a simple little ghost! And I just love how it turned out. 

Now that it is darker in the evenings when I'm driving home from work, Adam has usually lit the pumpkin already, and it always makes me happy when I pull up to the apartment and see it burning.


This year I decided to really start a decorating for the holidays tradition in our home. My mom always went overboard to the point of absurdity when decorating for the holidays when I was growing up. And I would always tease her about it, but it really did make the holidays happier.  

Both Adam and I were a little down over the summer when we couldn't quite afford a house like we had planned, and at times, staying in the apartment another year seemed like a dismal prospect. It is funny how our mindset has changed since moving to Alabama. I mean in California we were living in a shoebox with no prospect of ever buying a house! Now we have to wait a few extra months and we are all, "Woe is Us."

So while our apartment is a perfectly nice place to live, it just wasn't where we pictured ourselves living for more than a year. But we have come to accept that we are going to be here a year longer, and I thought why not decorate this year and make it a little homier?   Decorations don't require home ownership, and it sure has made the place warmer and more festive. And I love turning on my little pumpkin lights every night!  I can't wait to add to our collection, and pull these out year after year!

1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right-decorations don't require home ownership. It's all about making wherever you are home to you. I love your little decorative touches, especially the spiderweb pumpkin. You did a great job with the little ghost! We were total slackers this year, and while we went out and picked out our pumpkins, we have yet to carve them. It almost seems like a waste to do it now. Maybe they'll just add to our Thanksgiving decor!

    ReplyDelete

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!