Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ave Maria Grotto






Adam is out of town this weekend, and after spending most of the weekend watching bad TV, eating bad food, and taking numerous naps, I decided I better get out and DO something with my weekend, lest I become permanently affixed to the couch. I had a few ideas floating around my head, but I knew I didn't want to go too far or spend a lot of money, so I decided to check out the Ave Maria Grotto in Cullman, Alabama. 

The Ave Maria Grotto has many miniatures of famous places around the world (mostly religious). They were all completed by a monk who was originally from Bavaria, whose religious leanings led him to Alabama (who knows, how that happen). He was so talented, and he used shells, marbles, costume jewelery, or even cold cream jars to create his sculptures (these were donated by his fans).

I'm kind of crazy for miniature things, which partly explains my love of Legos. And a few years ago when I was in Israel, our tour guides took us to mini Israel, which recreated the whole country in miniature. It even had a little miniature coca cola factory, and the hotel we were staying at in Tel Aviv (I was so in love with that place). And I really want to go to Tobu World Square in Japan. So this was right up my alley.

Some of my favorite miniatures were of the more secular variety like the Alamo and The Coliseum. I had  a really nice time today, although it was hot, hot, hot! But I don't know what I was expected from Alabama in September. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!