Monday, June 9, 2014

Five Month Surgiversary



This weekend I celebrated my five month surgiversary A.K.A the day my stomach adapted its own personality and the name Pompeii! I almost forgot all about my surgiversary. Sometimes I struggle to remember how long it has been, having to count on my fingers to configure the date.  As time goes by, the newness of this change continues to wear off, and it is just a part of my daily life. My new reality.

However, I never forget my weekly Wednesday weigh ins, and I am happy to report I have lost 120 pounds. I am well under 300 now, and that feels so freakin good. While I still feel fat (and I am still fat), I no longer feel like the obese elephant in the room these days. I blend in better, I'm less scared of what people are thinking of me. 

I was always so worried about what people thought of me.

I have had so many non-scale victories this month:

  • Fitting into a size 18/20 Top
  • I No Longer Snore, Not Even a Little Bit (Adam says sometimes he has to check to see if I'm even breathing). 
  • No More Heart Burn (I used to think I was a fire breathing dragon disguised as a human)
  • No More Sciatica!!!!
  • Having More Energy
  • Being able to run 2-3 miles consistently

The only negative so far is I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that my hair is thinning. Which is really common after surgery, I won't lose it all, and it will grow back. It has been somewhat distressing to me because growing up a fat girl, I used to feel that my hair was my only positive asset.  So I'm afraid to lose that asset. Plus, I'm just a normal girl, who frequently fusses over my hair anyway.

I would much rather have the health benefits I'm seeing now and deal with a little temporary hair loss, then have lush hair, and still weigh nearly 400 pounds. It can't be all weight loss, rainbows, butterflies and ponies, I guess. 

Most days I just feel so happy/grateful/overwhelmed that I was even given this opportunity to start all over again.

4 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I'm so very happy for you. I think this is my first time commenting, but I've been a longtime lurker :) Keep it up! You are really inspiring! ~bls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done babes. If the hair thinning/loss is temporary then it's nothing to fret about. I don't know you, but I'm proud of you :)

    Sophie x

    www.yourgirlislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look incredible, but even better it sounds like you FEEL incredible! Yay to no more sciatica!!

    ReplyDelete

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!