Sunday, June 7, 2015

Month in Review: May 2015



Books I've Read:

1. The Red Queen by Phillippa Gregory

This is the second book in the Cousin's War series (I read the White Queen last month).  This series continues to be amazing. What I loved about this particular one is it made me sympathetic to Margaret Beaufort (the Red Queen), where I disliked her in the White Queen. I am loving the various perspectives these books are offering. And since I knew so little about the war of roses, I'm getting a history lesson as well.

2. I Regret Nothing by Jen Lancaster
I have read several of Jen Lancaster's nonfiction books over the years. They are always easy reads and they are always a lot of fun. This book was no different, it focused on her completing some bucket list items. I loved reading about her adventure in Italy, as I have been there (man, how was that 10 years ago).  Super funny read.

3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
This was our book club selection for May. It is a young adult book, that is pretty popular right now (I think they are working on the movie). It is about all these children that have freak show type of abilities. I really enjoyed the mystery and the strangeness in the beginning of the book, but when we got to the "climax" at the end, where all the action was taking place, I got a little bored with it.  But I do think it is a good book to get middle schoolers involved in reading!

Movies I've Watched:

1. Annie (2014)
I of course am a big, big fan of the original Annie movie, and when Adam was still out of town I rented the new one  from redbox. I didn't expect a whole lot from it, but I actually ended up enjoying it. It is funny and charming, and it is a good take on the classic tale.

2. Unbroken
I read this book last year, and I really enjoyed the book. But the movie fell a bit flat for me. I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't already read the book I think. The book has so much incredible detail on his struggles and his mindset during the ordeal, that the movie just couldn't compare.

3. Big Eyes
I was so intrigued by this movie, when I found out that it was the true story of such a crazy art fraud, and not to mention it was directed by Tim Burton. I really got into this story, and I could not wait to finish the movie, to see how everything ended up (and research the history of it online). One of the main characters is a total psycho path, and that is what held my interest.

4. Avengers: Age of Ultron
One thing that shocks me about myself is how much I enjoy all these super hero movies. I live for Captain America, I LOVED the first Avengers movie. And while I enjoyed this one a lot, the first one is still the best one in my humble opinion. This movie had some definitely highlights (the party scene, the character of Scarlett Witch, and the Hawkeye story line).

5. Pitch Perfect 2
A few years ago, on a whim, my friend Jana and I went to see Pitch Perfect. And I liked it so much, that it is one of those movies I actually bought on DVD and actually WATCH (that isn't Disney). So I was super stocked for the sequel, Jana and I caught the movie over memorial day. It did not disappoint, it may have been even better than the first. Can't wait to get that one on DVD.

6. Tomorrowland
It's rare that I don't love a movie, I'm pretty easy to please, but this one was mediocre at best. I have done a lot of thinking about why I didn't like the movie. I certainly love the message of the movie (we can create the future we want/there is always hope), and I love George Clooney. But some of it got too cheesy, and the fighting scenes often felt unrealistic. And while I love the actress that played the role of Casey, she appears too old to play a teenager. I did enjoy the Disneyland history Easter eggs in the film and the character of Athena however.

TV Shows I've Started/Finished/Watched: 

1, Bomb Girls
I found this number on netflix. It is a Canadian show, centered around the lives of women working in a 1940's bomb plant. It can get super cheesy at times, and often the story lines are a little out there. But I've rather enjoyed it, if just to admire the 1940's style of clothing.

2. The White Queen
I was thrilled to find I could watch this series on amazon prime, since I've been reading the books. I loved it, it reminded me a lot of the Tudors (except not as good). But I liked getting the visuals for the stories I am reading. And it makes me really anxious to read the Kingmaker's Daughter. 




Click here to follow this blog on bloglovin and keep up with all my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!