Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Month in Review: August 2015



Books I've Read:

1. Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
I have mixed feelings on this book. At times, the story seemed so slow, and I did not even know what the plot really was. But then it kind of turned into a Great Gatsby tale, as told from the perspective of a female Nick Carraway. A "normal" girl living among messy and wealthy people.


2. Sin, Shame, and Secrets by David Yonkie
This is a non-fiction book recounting the murder and prosecution of a priest who murdered a nun in a sanctuary. A really tragic tale, but intriguing none-the-less. This book kept my attention until the very end.

3. The KingMaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory
This is the 4th book in the series on the Cousins' War I've been reading. I really loved this one, the Neville Sisters led such interesting lives. And I couldn't wait to hear about the disappearances of the princes in the tower from Queen Anne's perspective.  

4. The Duchess by Amanda Foreman
I wanted to read this book after watching the movie The Duchess! I knew little about the Duchess of Devonshire before that point, but I knew she had one wild life. A lady in the 1790's, who spent most of her life living a menage a tois, had a gambling addiction, had an affair and got pregnant by another man while married, and was an ancestor of Princess Diana! Sign me up. I really enjoyed this book, especially reading the letters written by Georgiana. The political stuff dragged a little for me, although it was interesting that she was so involved in politics. 

5. In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume 
I love the books that Judy Blume writes for adults. Her book, Summer Sisters, is one of my all-time favorites. It had been such a long time since she had released something new. I was thrilled when I found out about this book. And I was not disappointed! This is a fiction book, but it draws from Blume's real life experiences of living in a town that experienced 3 plane crashes in the span of 60 days. The way Blume tells everyone's stories is just pure artistry. I read this book in one weekend. 

Movies I've Watched:

1. Ricki and the Flash 
What a great movie. Written by Diablo Cody and starring Meryl Streep, I doubt you could go wrong. It really was a sweet family story about a woman who left her family to pursue her dream of being a rockstar, and then comes back to reconcile after her daughter gets a divorce.  I love stories like that, family stories, with heartfelt endings! 


Click here to follow this blog on bloglovin and keep up with all my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!