Monday, August 29, 2011

To Market, To Market

Angel's Flight

Chop Suey

I Love the Old Men with the Fruit

Inside the Market

Peanuts!

Economy Meats

Dessert Bar

Beans
View from Metro Station
I went on a little adventure on Thursday, I decided to take the subway to Historic Downtown L.A. to check out Grand Central Market.  I had never been down there, and I had heard it was a very fun/interesting place to hang out. It is and I loved it! Grand Central Market is L.A.'s oldest open air market, and it has been opened since 1917.

When you first come out of the Pershing Square Subway Station, you get the prettiest view of some of the  skyscrapers on what is known as Bunker Hill. Then, you come across the beautiful Angel's Flight Tram, which was built to take you to the top of this very steep hill. You can ride it for just 25 cents. But when it was first built, it only cost .10 cents. Darn, inflation!

After checking out the Angel's Flight, I headed over to the market. The market was so much fun and there was so much going on. There were people haggling over prices, butchers dressed in traditional uniforms, business men catching a quick lunch before going back to work, and little old ladies trying to lure you into their fruit stands, whispering in your ear that their bananas are better than the other people's bananas. That's what she said.

I took a bunch of pictures, and I had a slice of raspberry and lemon cake from a dessert bar, that was AMAZEBALLS, before heading back home.

It was so good for me to get out on my own and have a little adventure. When I first moved here three years ago, I was so intimidated by this big city. I was scared to drive the freeways, and I was scared to take the subway on my own. One by one I conquered all those fears, and if you ask me that is pretty darn cool.

Song of the Day: Head Over Feet by Alanis Morissette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!