Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bonnie & Clyde Ambush Museum





After Cassie's graduation, we loaded up the car to head to Jackson, Mississippi, to spend the night with our friends Jana & Austin. But first we had to stop in little ole Gibsland, Louisana! Why you may ask?  Because Gibsland is where the famous Bonnie & Clyde bandits were ambushed. Last year, when Jana and I were road tripping to Alabama, I saw a sign for the Ambush Museum. And I filed that away in my memory and I knew I had to find a way to get there ASAP.

The Ambush Museum combined several of the things I love: history, quirky road trip destinations, and museums. So I was looking forward to this stop for weeks! The museum didn't allow pictures inside, which really bummed me out, because I love to take pictures wherever I go.

The museum is run by a Bonnie & Clyde historian. It is a small place, but has a lot of wonderful exhibits. They had items that belong to Bonnie and Clyde, and very informative displays. I loved these pictures that Bonnie & Clyde took when they were just goofing around, I think these pictures seem to personify how history looks at Bonnie & Clyde.

After we left the museum, we drove 8 miles up the road to check out the actual ambush site. There is a little monument there, that we accidentally drove past 3 times. Unfortunately, people have vandalized it over the years, but they are trying to put up a new one.

It was so cool to be standing where such a famous moment in history occurred, and to picture Bonnie & Clyde driving over the hill we drove down before the ambush. And if you have any doubt that we were in the right place. Compare our picture to an actual picture from the scene! How cool is that?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!