Wednesday, April 22, 2015

A Texas Weekend

What a whirlwind few weeks I have had. I feel like I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I have been sick and out of town. I feel like I am continuously playing catch up at work and at home. And before I continue with my post of the recap of my weekend, I have a sad announcement.
 
Adam has been out of town for the last week, and he will continue to be out of town for the next few weeks, because his grandmother, Nancy, passed away. She was a wonderful woman. So kind, welcoming, and funny. She will be missed. I will be joining him for the services later on this week. I am missing Adam terribly, but I'm so glad he has had some time with his family, but I wish I could be there with him right this second.

Before I knew anything about Adam's grandmother, I had booked a quick weekend flight to Houston for my niece's Kayla wedding shower last weekend.


I worked my regular hours on Friday, and then I caught a late afternoon flight. My connection was in Atlanta, and then it was on to Houston. I want to say how freeing it was to fly now that I've lost so much weight. I can't remember the last time I didn't need a seat belt extender. Plus, I didn't have to worry about spilling over onto the seat next to me. Even the middle seat was comfortable!  I love just blending in, not worrying if people are worrying that they may have to sit by the fat girl on the plane.



My flight to Atlanta was absolutely uneventful, but no such luck with my flight to Houston. It was one of the worst storms I believe I have ever flown in. The plane was rocking like a roller-coaster, and all I could see was lightning outside. When we landed, everyone clapped and thanked the pilot, who said we all looked a little white faced!


When I turned on my phone after landing, I immediately got a flash flood alert on my phone. I didn't think too much about it, because I've  never really seen a flash flood in action. But walking through the airport, they made the announcement that due to the storm, they were closing the airport. No planes would be coming or going. My niece told me the storm was bad and not to try to drive in it. So I hung out for a bit in the terminal and ate some dinner. Once the storm let up, I headed to get my rental car.


While I was in the Hertz shuttle, heading to the rental car lot, the flooding I saw was unreal (this is a picture from a news article on the flooding). I saw an ambulance in a ditch, cars stalled out, and even our shuttle bus was sliding. I knew I couldn't drive in that in my little economy car. But I didn't know what to do, my niece's wedding shower location was still an hour away. 

So I called Adam very upset, thinking I was going to have to sleep in the Hertz office or live life like Tom Hanks in that movie, The Terminal. But Adam had the idea to get me a hotel room adjacent to the airport. So I grabbed my rental car key, took the shuttle back to the airport, hopped on the hotel shuttle, and checked into a really nice room at the Courtyard Marriott.


I was so exhausted from the day of travel, storms, and anxiety. I zonked out.  The next morning I grabbed some breakfast at the Starbucks in the lobby, and I finally picked up my rental car. I kind of love rental cars, they are so clean and so new. I headed an hour south to Sugarland, Texas.




My nieces' shower was a painting party. Which I thought was such a fabulous idea! I was so excited to hang out with both my girls. My nieces truly have my heart, seeing them is always a joy. I rather like my painting (it's not going to hang in the Louve, but looks nice enough in my hall). But I was so shocked I even got it home! 

When I got on the flight to go home, I kept leaving it all over the airport and having to go back and retrieve it. I'd be sitting at a restaurant, and all of a sudden I'd be like where's my painting!?!? And I would find it in the sink in the restroom.

The rest of the day after the shower was very relaxed. We went out to eat at a wonderful seafood restaurant, and we did a little shopping at the mall. 

The next morning I drove back to Houston, and took two very uneventful flights to get home. I loved that I could a take quick weekend trip to be there for Kayla.  It was worth all the travel headaches to see her smile!


Click here to follow this blog on bloglovin and keep up with all my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!