Friday, April 3, 2015

Month in Review: March 2015



Books I've Read:

1. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
This was the book club selection for the month. It was an interesting read, I didn't really like the book at first because I swear there were almost no likeable characters whatsoever. The narrators were an alcoholic, mistress, and another cheater in an emotionally abusive relationship. But I really got into the mystery behind the story, the whodunit of it all. And the author did a fantastic job of making you double question everything you think you have figured out. 

2. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory 
Phillipa Gregory has been one of my favorite authors for a very long time. Her historical fiction really kicked off my love affair with Tudor history. I was not as familiar with Elizabeth Woodville (The White Queen), so when my friend Anna said I had to read The White Queen, I did. I loved, loved, loved it. Now I can't wait to read the others in the series. 

3. The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
This was the best read of the month. Which is a surprising pick for me, since fiction isn't my jam usually. But lately, mostly due to book club, I'm really getting into fiction. I loved this book because the writing is beautiful. I loved the mystery behind the miniaturist being a fortune teller, and I loved unraveling all the secrets in the oppressive Brandt household. This book is based in Amsterdam, which added another layer for me, since I have been to and loved Holland so much. 


Movie's I've Seen:

1. Cinderella
I was excited for this movie for quite a while. And on a Friday afternoon, after a long work week. I took myself to the movies, because sometimes you gotta take yourself because you love silly movies, and you find yourself to be the best company. It was an incredible movie, probably anti-feminist, although so is the original. But the movie was seriously beautiful, a feast for the eyes. It was worth it just for that. 

2. Theory of Everything 
This movie was the story behind Jane and Stephen Hawking's relationship. It is an interesting tale, Jane had strength that I don't know if I even possess. Of course, I hated the ending, but since it's a movie based on life, I can't really complain about that, since that is what truly happen. Wonderful movie.

Click here to follow this blog on bloglovin and keep up with all my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!