Sunday, November 8, 2015

Month in Review: September/October 2015

Books I've Read:

1.The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
I was really interested when I read the plot of this book. I have always kind of been interested in the historical oddities of freak shows and circuses. The book was pretty good, but it did drag a bit in the middle for me. But it picked up again in the end. 

2. The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
This was a book club selection. It is based on the American Crew team that won gold in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. At first, I could not get into it, in fact I almost gave up on it. But eventually something hooked me,  I was impressed by the difficultly of rowing. And I loved how the story was told by focusing on the history of one of the teammates. 

3. America, You Sexy Bitch by Michael Ian Black & Meghan Mccain
This was an interesting non-fiction book. I have always been a big fan of Meghan Mccain, and Michael Ian Black is hilarious. The whole concept of the book is a democrat and republican drive around America looking for common ground in their beliefs.

4. Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter by Kate Clifford Larson
This was my favorite read over the last two months. It is about the daughter of the Kennedy's who was intellectually disabled and later subjected to a lobotomy by her father. I always enjoy learning about the Kennedy's, and this was truly tragic tale but an interesting read. 

5. A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden by Daylight by Victoria Lincoln
This book is an older book, written by a lady who grew up in the same town as Lizze Borden and knew her as a child. Although some of the information in this book is so obviously outdated (Lincoln's theory was that Lizzie killed her parents because she possibly had epilepsy, made worse by being on her period). But she still gave a good "insider" account of the murders and a good overview of the case. 

6. The Walk by  Philippe Petit
I recently saw the movie, The Walk, about Petit's real life high wire walk across the world trade center. I wanted to know the whole story. I really loved the passion he demonstrated for his high wire walk and everything that went into preparing for the walk! This read like a classic, heist tale. Such a good read. 

Movies I've Watched:

1. The Walk
I went and saw this movie with my mother a while back. I really loved it! We saw it in 3D, which really made the experience so intense. I felt like I was walking across the World Trade Center and often felt sick to my stomach! I also liked it because it felt like a love letter to the WTC, without having to bring out the heartbreak of 9-11. 

TV Show Watched:

1. Fargo
Adam and I are both really into this season of Fargo. That show is intense, funny, and intriguing. We look forward to watching it every week. Plus, Kirsten Dunst and Matt Damon are playing their roles perfectly. 

2. Below Deck
One of my favorite reality shows ever! I find the links the crew members go to meet their clients needs amazing. And some of the rich customers are so entitled! Captain Lee is definitely my favorite. This show almost makes me want to work on a yacht to earn some of those massive cash tips!


Click here to follow this blog on bloglovin and keep up with all my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!