Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Morning Kerfuffle


As mentioned previously, Carlee is visiting for the week, which always leads to its own set of challenges and hi-jinks. Being that Carlee is a calm dog of a distinguished age, and Link is a rambunctious puppy. Morning times are particularly interesting, because I am trying to get two dogs fed (who are very excited), while also preparing Carlee's cocktails of vitamins, thyroid pills, and arthritis pain killers. 

Carlee's pain killers go into pill pockets, which are tasty treats that you place pills in for dogs who don't like to take pills.I have to hold Link back by his collar to keep him from taking Carlee's pills every single time. This is exactly what I did on Thursday morning. And everything was going fine, until I glanced down and realized one of Carlee's pain pills did not make it into the pocket, and it was sitting on the counter.

Carlee is notorious for not wanting to take pills, and always sniffing them out. But It was such a tiny pill, so I thought I would just put it in her food bowl with her breakfast, and she would never know the difference. Right? Wrong!  After she wolfed down her breakfast, and I let the dogs out to do their business, I saw the little white pill sitting neatly beside her food bowl. She had found that TINY sucker, and she wanted me to know that she knew what I had attempted to do, and it didn't fool her. 

I had no choice but to break out another pill pocket. I got the treat ready, and let Carlee in as she was at the patio door barking to be let in. Link was nowhere in sight, so I left the patio door open, expecting him to come in a few minutes later.

I gave Carlee the pill pocket, and she accidentally dropped it. And in that split second, Link swooped in from out of nowhere, and faster than greased lightning ate Carlee's pain pill. I was just in shock. I don't know how he even saw it on the floor!

Once the shock wore off, I was concerned because my 35 lb beagle just swallowed a heavy duty pain pill intended for a 65 lb Labrador retriever....I didn't quite know what to do.

I always take Link upstairs before I head out for work, and let him sleep with Adam for a couple more hours. I woke Adam up becase I wanted Link to be supervised, so we could make sure he didn't need a trip to the vet.

I called Adam a few hours afterwards to check in on our little pill popper, and he said he seemed lethargic for a while, but then he was our regular, perky pup. No harm, no foul.

 He is our Stinky Linky after all.


Click here to follow this blog on bloglovin and keep up with all my posts!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! This so reminds me of our babies. Trig will literally eat everything around the pill he has to take/any medication. He does, however, do well will pill pockets. If I gave Tatum a pill pocket - then he would eat the pill pocket, but not the pill. He is that good. They are stinkers. I love the picture of Link and Carlee together. So cute :) Maybe after all of this, you'll want to get another fur baby? LOL.

    <3 Ash

    ReplyDelete

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!