Saturday, January 2, 2016

Month in Review: November/December 2015


Books I've Read:

1. Room by Emma Donoghue
This book was so good. I've always been fascinated by those stories of people (like Jaycee Duggard) who are held captive for years and years and their life afterwards. This was a fictional tale, told from the perspective of a 5 year old boy, who was born in captivity. It was truly riveting,  and I could not put it down. 

2. Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson 
I have been blogging for years, and while I'm aware of her super popular blog, I've never been a follower. My niece highly recommends her books though, so I picked it up. This book was absolutely hilarious! It was one of those books I  laughed out loud reading. It was touching at points too. As a fellow sufferer of social anxiety, I could relate. I can not wait to read her next book. 

3. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
I have to say Ms. Kondo is a bit out there  in how she views her possessions. But her methods for decluttering and tidying up seem solid, and I'm planning to try them out. I hate extra stuff, Adam is a little more sentimental, so all I can focus is on my stuff and other stuff when he is not aware (wink, wink, kidding, SORTA). So I will report back on how that goes! 

4. It Ended Badly: 13 of the Worst Breakups in History by Jennifer Wright
What a fun read! This is a historical (written in a funny, conversational style) about the worst break-ups in history. I love how she frames the stories in comparisons of modern day break-ups. Oh your boyfriend ghosted you? Well, that isn't as bad as your husband telling everyone you are a ghost and refusing to acknowledge your presence, etc, etc. There are some really surprising tales here.

5. Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bislands' History Making Race Around the World by Matthew Goodman
I've been interested in learning more about Nellie Bly for a while. And the most interesting event in her life was arguably the race around the world. I love reading the stories of both women, although I found Bly insufferable at times and Bisland more relate able. It was well written, and I immensely enjoyed it. 

Movies I've Watched:

1. Spectre
Adam is a big fan of James Bond, so we have seen the last few together. And overall I enjoyed them. I really loved this movie, although Adam was on the fence about it, and I understand his criticism (which lie in the ending mainly). But it was still a fun movie, and since I've never been a die hard Bond fan, I can just enjoy it, and not over-analyze it like Adam. 

2. The Good Dinosaur
I had such high hopes for this film, as I love Pixar! But this film was pretty mediocre. Pixar really does well making movies that appeal to children and adults, however, this one felt like regular kid movie fare. Nothing really special about it. I probably had too high of expectations following my much loved Inside Out. However, the visuals in the movie were stunning!

3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
I am in no means a Star War nuts, but I do know enough about Star Wars to follow along, and just two weeks ago watched A New Hope for the 2nd time. But I really enjoyed this film, it was FUN & FUNNY. It was heart wrenching at times, and the MAJOR spoiler got to me (but totally decimated Adam). I would see it again, it was THAT GOOD. 


Click here to follow this blog on bloglovin and keep up with all my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check notify to be emailed when I reply to your comment!